ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE COUNSELING
Hawken seeks teachers and administrators comfortable taking risks and embracing a growth mindset. Our faculty members are constantly looking for new ways to inspire student curiosity while remaining dedicated to nurturing compassion and kindness in our students. We desire culturally competent candidates who clearly appreciate a community of teachers and learners from diverse backgrounds and perspectives and are committed to equity and social justice.
We are committed to using time differently and want faculty members to expand their definition of a classroom. This means designing learning experiences for students that deepen their learning, engaging their emotions as well as their intellects. If you are an experienced educator or college counselor inspired by this description of our community, we encourage you to read on to learn more about this position and our school.
Hawken School is seeking a knowledgeable and enthusiastic Associate Director of College Counseling to join our Upper School. Within this department of five, the Assistant Director will be a team member who performs the following responsibilities:
- Educate and counsel students and parents about the college search and application process
- Compose compelling school letters of recommendation for each senior advisee (average load is 35-40 students)
- Meet regularly with students (juniors and seniors) and their parents
- Read and provide feedback on college essays and supplemental application questions
- Help to teach Junior and Senior College Forum classes
- Plan and conduct college information programs regarding college admission, office procedures, financial aid, etc.
- Create and maintain strong professional ties with college admission officers
- Attend national and regional conferences, college tours and local college events
- Assist in the administration of the PSAT and AP Exams
- Participate in the planning and execution of the CCIS College Fair and Case Study program
In this vibrant community, our students have the opportunity to participate in several non-traditional academic and extracurricular programs. Understanding and appreciating Hawken’s forward focused mission is essential to enthusiastically advocating for students seeking admission to competitive colleges and universities.
A bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in an education or counseling community are recommended in addition to these skills and characteristics:
- Experience in college athletic recruitment preferred
- Computer and technological competence including familiarity with Naviance
- A growth mindset about changes in high school and college education
- Experience planning events (programs, college fairs, travel, counselor programs)
- The ability to create responsive, caring and appropriate relationships with students, parents and colleagues
- An understanding of the developmental needs of high school aged adolescents and a vocational spirit in mentoring them as they transition to college
- Interest in supporting the development of student writing skills as they relate to the college process
- The ability to function well under stress and time constraints
- A strong interest in professional development
Hawken School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting all forms of diversity in the workplace and in our student body. We strongly urge all qualified individuals to apply.