Regardless of whether students are regular riders to and from Hawken or to and from athletics events or field trips, all of our students benefit from our certified staff of school bus drivers and fleet of well-maintained vehicles. Hawken transports almost 20 percent of our students to and from home each year. Our transportation program meets all state requirements and inspections regarding the approval of bus drivers, standards for buses, and safe speeds.
Hawken offers three choices of transportation services for its students. Please be advised that all locations are selected each year based on a sufficient number of requests for a specific area.
1. Campus-to-Campus Shuttle Service
For families who live or work near Hawken's Gates Mills, Lyndhurst, Birchwood, and University Circle campuses, the campus-to-campus shuttle may be the most economical means of transportation for your student.Shuttle service between Lyndhurst (LY) and Gates Mills (GM) campuses:
Pick-up/drop-off is at the Middle School's Lincoln Lobby in Lyndhurst and the Upper School's White House Circle in Gates Mills.
- 7:30 am departs LY, arrives GM 7:50 am
- 3:15 pm departs LY, arrives GM 3:40 pm
- 5:00 pm departs LY, arrives GM 5:25 pm
Shuttle service between Birchwood (BW) and Gates Mills (GM) campuses:
- 7:30 am departs GM, arrives LY 7:50 am
- 3:45 pm departs GM, arrives LY 4:15 pm
- 5:30 pm departs GM, arrives LY 5:50 pm
Pick-up/drop-off is at the Birchwood School of Hawken's main parking lot, and the Upper School's White House Circle in Gates Mills.
- 6:40 am departs BW, arrives GM 7:50 am
- 5:30 pm departs GM, arrives BW 6:40 pm
Shuttle service between University Circle (UC), Lyndhurst (LY), and Gates Mills (GM):
Pick-up/drop-off is at Mastery School Building #1, the Middle School’s Lincoln Lobby in Lyndhurst and the Upper School’s White House Circle in Gates Mills.
- 2:45 pm departs UC, 3:10 pm arrives LY
- 3:15 pm departs LY, 3:40 pm arrives GM
- 7:30 am departs GM, 7:50 am arrives LY
- 7:55 am departs LY, 8:20 am arrives UC
- 5:30 pm departs GM, 5:50 pm arrives LY
- 5:55 pm departs LY, 6:20 pm arrives UC
2. Central Point Bus Service
Central point service locations are selected with access to shelter and telephones so that students from several homes can meet safely for group pickup. Should door-to-door service not be available in your neighborhood, we hope that one of our newly established central point pickup and drop-off locations will work for your family, at appreciable savings.
Central Point Service Routes:
- Chagrin Falls, Bainbridge
- Hudson, Twinsburg, Solon, Aurora
- Rocky River, Lakewood, Cleveland
- Broadview Hts., Bath
- Cleveland, Shaker Hts., Cleveland Hts./South Euclid
- Orange, Pepper Pike
3. Door-to-Door Service
Students are picked up and dropped off at their homes or at an individual pick-up/drop-off location. Door-to-door routes are established each year based on parent application and sufficient ridership. Service routes include the following communities:
- Bainbridge, Chagrin Falls, South Russell, Russell, Moreland Hills, Pepper Pike, and Hunting Valley
- Solon, Moreland Hills, Orange, and Beachwood
- Cleveland, Shaker Heights, University Heights, and South Euclid-Lyndhurst
Public School Options
In addition to Hawken transportation options, a number of schools provide free public school transportation to Hawken's Lyndhurst and Gates Mills campuses, or offer reimbursement in lieu of transportation. To obtain specific information about how your child can ride public school transportation, or to apply for reimbursement, please contact your local school transportation department in August or early September.