Year Founded: 1915
Student Body: A diverse, coed student body of over 1,500
- Students in grades Toddler – 8, Lyndhurst: 720
- Students in grades Preschool – 8, Birchwood: 240
- Students in grades 9 – 12: 615
Average Class Size: 15
Student/Teacher Ratio: 8:1
Student/Computer Ratio: 1:1 from Kindergarten to Grade 12
College Counseling: College guidance program staffed by 5 professionals ensures one-on-one attention and expert advice
College Acceptance: 100%
National Merit Semifinalists 2022:
8 semi-finalists, 11 commended studentsStudents of color:
Financial Assistance: $12.3 million in Flexible Tuition for the 2022-23 school year
James A. Hawken Merit Scholarship Program
up to $15,000 may be available for new 9th grade and 10th grade students.
Our Purpose: Forward-focused preparation for the real world through the development of character and intellect
Our Promise: Hawken School prepares students to navigate a complex and dynamic world with self-confidence and determination; embrace challenges with disciplined analysis and creativity; and engage others with empathy and integrity.
"That the better self shall prevail and each generation introduce its successor to a higher plane of life." - John Lancaster Spalding
School Colors: Red and Gray
School Mascot: The Hawk
Accreditation: Hawken School is fully accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS) and is officially approved by the State of Ohio, from which it holds charters as an elementary school and as a secondary school.
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Ohio Association of Independent Schools
- Cleveland Council of Independent Schools
- Global Online Academy
- Cum Laude Society
- School and Student Service for Financial Aid
- A Better Chance
- Ohio High School Athletic Association
- Council for the Advancement and Support of Education
- University Circle, Inc.