MAINTENANCE GROUP LEADER (GATES MILLS OR LYNDHURST)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Hawken School is committed to doing school differently and better. This means developing an inclusive and accepting community where adults feel empowered to design educational experiences for students that deepen their learning, engaging their emotions as well as their intellects. Hawken School seeks culturally competent teachers who are committed to equity and social justice, comfortable taking risks, and who embrace a growth mindset. Our faculty members are constantly looking for new ways to inspire student curiosity while remaining dedicated to nurturing compassion and kindness in our students.
Successful candidates for any role at Hawken School must demonstrate skill and commitment in all the following key areas:
Mission, Culture, and Philosophy Alignment
Candidates must show they can thrive at Hawken and are highly motivated by the school’s mission.
Fair Play: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Justice
Candidates must indicate a commitment to and have experience with serving students and communities equitably.
Relationship Building and Cultivation Candidates must show they can build relationships throughout the Hawken community.
Candidates must demonstrate that they can lead and guide colleagues and/students to depth in their work.
Humility and Growth Mindset
Candidates must be eager to learn new approaches and methods and be able to team effectively with others.
Approach to Work
Candidates must show initiative and agency with a commitment toward feedback and flexible problem solving.
LOCATIONS: Hawken School (Gates Mills and/or Lyndhurst Campuses)
(A) Position Summary.
This position in general is responsible for the efficient and effective 24/7 operation and maintenance of grounds, athletics, mechanical, electrical equipment, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, plumbing, carpentry, building envelope and general maintenance for the School sites and reflects the highest level of expertise and competency in building trades maintenance. The position is a “hands on” leadership role that oversees a diversified group of skilled workers performing operation, repair, installation, general maintenance of buildings, boilers, chillers, HVAC and related ancillary equipment as well as landscaping and grounds work. The position also oversees the operation and maintenance of pool systems and a regulated sewage treatment plant. This position is responsible for coaching, training and developing workers performing a variety of maintenance, trades and operational work. This role provides technical expertise and troubleshooting to solve building infrastructures and equipment related problems. This position requires performing various administrative functions contributing to the development and prioritization of the department’s strategic objectives and projects and to support compliance to School policies and procedures. This position is considered “essential personnel” and will be “on call” as needed.
(B) Nature and Scope.
This position reports to the Director, Physical Plant. The incumbent prioritizes schedules, directs and participates in the operation, and general repair and maintenance of School facilities and grounds including mechanical, electrical, HVAC & R, plumbing, carpentry, building envelope and other related infrastructures as well as all aspects of grounds work including landscaping and snow removal. This position is a critical leadership role to promote teamwork and provide continuous improvement in Physical Plant Operations. The incumbent is free to make decisions to plan work priorities and assign Team members to accomplish objectives as he or she determines. Typical tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Works closely with other site Team Leaders, Physical Plant Administration and others across campus.
- Assures the utilization of appropriate safety equipment and procedures for staff and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of equipment and building infrastructures, grounds and athletics work.
- Instructs and trains staff on safety methods and work procedures.
- Controls and ensures consistent and proper use of the building automation system.
- Plans and recommends equipment, materials and manpower to perform various plant operations tasks.
- Oversees and participates in repair, preventive and predictive maintenance of equipment and building infrastructures including boilers and HVAC & R systems.
- Oversees and analyzes, troubleshoots and performs diagnosis of problems for a variety of buildings, grounds, equipment and systems in the School facilities.
- Ensure the safe operation and maintenance of pool systems.
- Operates and maintains the site sewage treatment plant according to EPA regulations.
- Develops and participates in the School snow removal plans to ensure efficient utilization of resources and safety for all site users.
- Participates, creates and maintains the School grounds maintenance plans to ensure grounds and roads are clean, professionally maintained and safe for all users.
- Maintains retention basins and a variety of gardens and landscaping.
- Reads and interprets technical repair manuals, blueprints, wiring diagrams, operations manuals, etc.
(B) Nature and Scope continued
- Performs administrative duties which include development of workforce schedules, scheduling vacation and time off and daily time card reporting.
- Drives continuous improvement initiatives. Assure high levels of customer satisfaction with services provided.
- Performs staff reviews and recommends personnel development plans.
- Prepares and maintains records and basic reports.
- Schedules outside contractors and works with outside vendors.
- Sources and obtains pricing for materials, parts and services.
- Supports procurement processes and enters requisitions.
- Assists with the development of facilities and equipment preventive and predictive maintenance plans and strategies.
- Maintains building key system, records, drawings and archival systems.
- Assists with managing spare parts inventories.
- Utilizes the computerized maintenance system to manage and close out work requests.
- Supports on call and off hours emergencies.
- Promotes and supports Campus events.
- Other duties as assigned.
(C) Principal Accountabilities.
- Assure that the School heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, grounds, roads, equipment and athletics infrastructures are operated and maintained efficiently and effectively 24/7 to ensure quality environmental performance, reduce energy and to prolong the lifecycle of the equipment and buildings.
- Assure that the school grounds, roads, equipment and athletics infrastructures are operated and maintained efficiently and effectively to ensure high quality performance.
- Ensure regulatory compliance for pools systems, sewage treatment plant and regulated chemical applications.
- Ensure safe work practices are being performed by Team members and that tools and equipment are in safe working order.
- Identify conditions which have the potential to become unsafe and take necessary action to correct them.
- Planning and scheduling work assignments to make the most efficient and effective use of available personnel, materials, tools, and equipment.
- Assure Team members are properly trained and motivated and have the necessary skills to perform their daily tasks.
- Ensure School policies and procedures are being followed by Team members.
(D) Problem Solving.
Must be able to assess criticality of work orders and Campus emergencies and take independent action to diagnose and correct conditions that may arise from malfunctioning equipment. Incumbent must be able to develop corrective and preventive action plans for deficiencies in equipment, buildings and grounds. Requires the ability to identify required maintenance for facilities and equipment and determine and develop preventive maintenance plans.
- High School Graduate and/or Associate degree from a technical institution.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in facilities maintenance and operations, HVAC& R operation and maintenance.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in facilities maintenance and supervising grounds, athletics and support services personnel.
- Must possess a current Ohio chemical applicator license (Pesticides/Fertilizers) or ability to obtain a license.
- Sewage plant operations license or boiler license desired or ability to obtain a license.
- Experience coaching and mentoring a diversified work team.
- Previous experience planning, scheduling and performing the repair and maintenance of grounds, facilities infrastructures and equipment.
- Strong organizational skills along with the ability to act with a sense of urgency.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and the ability to maintain a positive interaction with internal and external customers.
- Flexibility to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and database systems.
- Must be able to read blueprints and understand and interpret technical manuals.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must meet physical requirements of a working supervisor.
- Shift flexibility is required. Work assignments can include any shift or days.
- Must have a valid Ohio Driver's License.