1. We truly know our students...as learners and individuals.
2. We pay purposeful attention to the development of character, helping students understand Hawken's motto of "fair play," and its founder's call to find their "better selves."
3. We consider developing the intellect to be a critical part of developing character and, as such, we expect the highest levels of academic excellence from our students.
4. We orient our program with a primacy toward the development of 21st century skills beyond the acquisition of specific knowledge.
5. We use classroom methods that place the student at the center of learning. We teach children to make choices, manage their time, think critically and creatively, and develop ownership for their learning.
6. We believe students find energy and passion through engagement, and we expect them to participate and contribute meaningfully in an array of activities outside of the classroom.
7. We believe in the power of community, and foster connections through teamwork, partnerships, and shared experiences.
8. We appreciate difference and individuality, and embrace diversity in our community.
9. We believe students need authentic experience in the real world to make meaning from knowledge. We consider nature, Cleveland and the global community to be extensions of our classrooms.
10. We believe that to provide the most relevant education possible, our faculty and administrators must be learning continually about educational best practices, advances in technology and developments in the world.